Monday 28 December 2020

Short AF Series Review | The Queen's Gambit


Hey guys, so today I'm going to be a doing a review on the series "The Queen's Gambit". As usual this review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the IMDB synopsis in this and sometimes they can contain spoilers, however 9/10 times they don't. It's just something to keep in mind if you're planning on watching the series.) 




"Orphaned at the tender age of nine, prodigious introvert Beth Harmon discovers and masters the game of chess in 1960's USA. But child stardom comes at a price."


So the reason I wanted to watch this series is because a lot of people online were putting out a lot of hype regarding it. I didn't know anything about the series going into it other than it was around chess, so I genuinely thought I was going to dislike it. I was so wrong. Me and James ended up binging the series in the space of 2 or 3 days. We kept wanting to keep on (but obviously due to sleep and work we couldn't) so we looked forward to watching it after work every day. The series was so good and hit on so much more than chess! I loved it so much and was definitely well written as a stand alone series. The characters and character development in it was beautiful and there were so many twists and turns that I didn't expect.


My favourite characters in the series: 

- Alma Wheatley: Alma was such a troubled character in the series but was also honestly one of the best and sweetest characters throughout the show. She concerned me a little bit at the start of the series which you might see why when you watch it. Her growth throughout the series was beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Matt & Mike: So I'm going to group these two together as they truly are a spectacular pair. I love their characters so much. When you first meet them they come across as super cocky but they're probably my 2 favourite characters within the series.

- D.L. Townes: Townes is honestly such a lovely character and I can't tell you too much about him without spoiling at least some of the series but I love him and his character development so much.


My least favourite character in the series:

- Benny Watts: Okay, I say he's my least favourite character in the series but honestly it's only because I have such a love hate thought process with him. Benny is a really good character in some ways but in others he really is not.

- Harry Beltik: There's not much I like about Harry's character. He tries, but that's all I'm going to say on the matter.


Once again, this series is really well written! Even if you don't like chess, definitely watch "The Queen's Gambit"! 

What did you think of this series? Who were your favourite and least favourite characters? Do you have any movies, series, podcasts or books you'd recommend for me to watch/listen to/read or would like me to do a short AF review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

As always, have a wonderful day.

Love, Lyndsay
xo

No comments :

Post a Comment